Friday, June 27, 2014

Black Butler Live Action / Kuroshitsuji Live Action


SUMMARY : 

The story is set in the year over 2020 in an Asian city where Western and Eastern cultures blend together. A young woman named Shiori Genpou now runs the Phantomhive family. However, only men are allowed to lead the family, so she disguises herself as a man name Kiyoharu. As a descendant of the noble family Phantomhive, Shiori solves difficult cases which are ordered by the queen. Sebastian watches over and protects her as her butler in exchange for her soul.

~adapted from wikia~

REVIEW by Kuro-hime  :

When I first found out that Kuroshitsuji had a live action movie, I was completely excited. 
So I rushed to read the summary and watch the trailer.
And that was when I was disappointed.

No Ciel.
No Victorian era.
And what is with Sebastian's hair.
Yes, I had a list complaints.

That was when my expectation for the movie fell to a really low level.

So I watched the movie, with low expectations.

That was why I was completely surprised by the fact that the movie kept true to the anime.

Sebastian behaved like the Sebastian we knew in the anime.
And eventhough that girl was Shiori Genpou and not Ciel, she might as well have been Ciel because she sure as hell behaved like the Ciel we knew in the anime.

I love the fact that the movie kept close to the core of the anime.

Logically, if you look at this movie, there were something things that were odd.
Those things were :
1. If it's 2020, why does it look like the Victorian Era except for some things?
2. Why are there still lame rules to succession like you have to be a boy?

This movie shows that it is adapted from an anime or manga very obviously.
Because it is obvious that the characters won't be able to do some of the things that are done in the movie. It's definitely impossible.
But the characters here could do it.

And there were some cool posing scenes.
Or just some scenes that obviously didn't make sense but it will in an anime and manga.

Being true to the original is both the movie's strength and flaw.
It depends how you interpret it.

If you want a realistic movie, then, this is not the movie.

But if you didn't take the movie so seriously, you would love this movie.

The plot was good. 
A case solving plot to show us the character's behaviours and motives.
It was well done, in my opinion.

The clothes were exquisite for Ciel and Sebastian. (It was definitely from the Victorian Era)

The music was well done, fitting the movie and what it wanted to do.

The actors and actresses did a pretty good job. The two main characters didn't overact eventhough it would be so easy too. 
I applaud both Sebastian actor and Shiori actress.
But some of the villains on the other hand, they overact a little but I understand why.

What I love about this movie is that it knows that it is an adaptation to anime and manga, so, it kept true to it.
As a fan of the kuroshitsuji anime, I like what I saw.

All in all, it was a pretty good movie.

I think it delivered the darkness and gothic well enough without pushing it too much. 
Because too much is overkill.
And too little is lacking.

I rate this a 7 out of 10.