Friday, March 18, 2011

Black Swan

by kuro-hime



SUMMARY :

Nina Sayers is a young dancer with a prestigious ballet company in New York City. She lives with her overbearing mother, Erica, a failed dancer turned amateur artist who tries to control much of Nina's life.

The ballet company is preparing for a production of Swan Lake. The director, Thomas Leroy, has to cast a new principal dancer. The lead must be able to portray both the innocent, fragile White Swan and her darkly sensual, evil twin, the Black Swan. Nina is selected to compete for the part alongside several other dancers. The director does not intend to cast Nina as the Swan Queen. When Nina visits him to request the role, he tells her that her rigid technique makes her ideal for the White Swan, but that she lacks the passion to dance the Black Swan. When he forces a kiss on her, she bites him. Thomas sees her potential and gives her the role.

As she trains for the role, she falls into madness.

REVIEW :

Wow, this is one of the most intense movie ever. Who knew that falling into madness could be so, well, intense.

Anyhow, this movie is totally psychological. I mean, it's a movie that'll really get you and affect you.

Natalie Portman was brillant in this movie. In fact, the whole cast was GREAT!!

The director did a great job and the cinematography in this movie is beautiful.

I like how we, the audience couldn't tell whether it was reality or just one of Nina's crazy moments.

This movie is also a little scary because Nina is going crazy and certain scenes were frightening. I mean, breaking and twisted crackling bones scare the shit out of me. Maybe it's just me, but I dislike watching the human body being distorted like being broken or twisted in a very ugly painful way.

This movie also had lots of sexual things such masturbation and two girls making out. So yea. That isn't my favourite part in the movie but it's needed because Nina was going crazy and this was part of it.

I like the director or the movie captures her fall to crazyland. It's actually quite beautiful and sad.

Nina is a good dedicated dancer and she would do anything for her role.
Unfortunately, she lost her sanity for the role.

But atleast, she danced a beautiful dance and it was perfect. So yea...

Anyhow, brilliant movie! I would recommend it and I would recommend that people over 18 years old watch it. It's really intense.

This movie made me respect dancers and all their passion. Unfortunately, it also made me question it. Why dance so hard? I mean, a dancing career will end when you reach the age of 30.
And some never even make it to be famous dancers!
So yea.

But thanks to the movie, if I ever have a daughter, I will not send her to a dancing school.
I respect the dance world but I'm glad that I'm not part of it.

Anyway, enough of that, I'm rating this movie a 9 out of 10!!