Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Burlesque

Reviewed by JuliaAiredes,

Genre - Musical, Drama, Romance


Ali Rose is an aspiring singer/dancer from Iowa. After being rejected by numerous auditions she realises that to succeed in Los Angeles she'll have to take things up a notch. After stumbling upon a club - Burlesque, Ali is mesmerised by their performance and thus becomes determined to join as a dancer.

Taking up a job as a waitress at the Burlesque, she soon picks up the dance moves. Her lucky break came when Tess the owner of Burlesque requires someone to replace one of her dancer. Reluctantly, Tess took her seeing a part of a former self in Ali.

Thus begins Ali's journey to become one of the most successful performer in Burlesque. Along the way, she will use her wits to save Burlesque from its debts, save her heart from romance and also jealousy.

To be honest, I didn't expect much and I was truly stunned by its choreography, talent and amazing skills. It somewhat reminds me of Chicago but don't misunderstand. Burlesque is its own show.

Starred by Cher and Christina Aguilera, this was one of the reasons I underestimated Burlesque as to me Aguilera is more of a singer than a actress. She has since proved me wrong. The tension between the characters was realistic and wonderful. Throughout the movie, I was kept on my toes as I waited to see what Ali Rose would do.

The soundtrack used in Burlesque was catchy and so were the dance moves. I wished that there would be more. And of course a happy ending to a girl's story is always good. This is truly something worth watching.