Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)

Reviewed by JuliaAerides


I believe I have reviewed the book version of this movie before so I won't go into the storyline. Click here for the link.

This movie adaptation does not do the book justice. Not only its a lot less funny, its also a lot less fun. It also eliminated, changed or simplified numerous key plot, scenes, and character introduction. Plus the movie was altered too much from the book. More as in change storyline more.

The setting for the movie was also unrecognisable in the movie. What happened to Thalia's tree that was suppose to act as the border for Camp Half-Blood? If i recall correctly, Percy's room did not overlook a lake and the Entrance to the Underworld was supposed to look like a record studio. So tell me what happened.

I absolutely loved the book. I thought it was smart, funny and very engaging. But in the movie there was no character growth. Percy was BAM suddenly a hero wanabe. What happened to the insecure teenager with ADHD and dylexia who suddenly had to face the toughest decisions in his life?

For someone who has read the books (namely me), it is sorely disapointing as I was expecting so much more. They failed to deliver the vital points for the next books - as a matter of fact MOST key characters were left out...the ones that propel the story as a series. If I had never read the book, it would be a fairly good movie, but if I was the author, I would make sure they actually follow it somewhat.

The casting was excellent no questions with that. What else that was missing was the was missing was the first person narrative. They should definately have some voice-overs for thoughts or something. It's just what makes the series so charming.

Verdict: 4.7